Monday, April 10, 2006

Media Magnets

I have a confession to make, I listen to talk radio. There aren’t that many great radio stations in Houston so I try to keep up-to-date on events by listening to talk radio. Over the last year or so I have noticed a trend regarding the people that call into radio stations. Although I can’t see them through the radio, I have a feeling these are the same people that show up on the nightly news when some major catastrophe has occurred. Do you know the people to which I refer? They are almost always missing some piece of their clothing, i.e. a shirt or their pants… maybe they have a Kool-Aid mustache and/or a mullet… Anyway, I just started to wonder where on earth these people come from and why are they so drawn the media? Do they just like to hear themselves talk or do they really feel like the have something profound to say that will change the way the rest of us see the world? I have further noticed that this is a trend across all types of talk shows – news talk radio, conservative talk radio and as I most recently discovered, sports talk radio.

For example, I was on my way home from the Astros game on Saturday night and I was listening to the 10th inning show with Carl Dukes. The Astros bullpen had blown a big lead (something very out of character) and this idiot called in saying what a terrible bullpen Houston has and how they need to get rid of them all and start over. This caller clearly does not know much about baseball as Houston’s bullpen is ranked among the top in the league. What on earth possessed this man to call in and engage in a conversation that he knew nothing about? Why don’t people understand that everyone has an “off” night? I do not know.

Also, what is the deal with all these people that keep calling in to say they hate President Bush because he won’t let illegal immigrates live and work here? They completely have their facts wrong – it is Bush that wants to allow them amnesty! This, by the way, is a concept that I don’t understand at all. Why would we allow an entire group of people to completely disregard our laws and then reward them for doing so? What is our world coming to?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tabs said...

And Marilee is back in true form folks! :)

Amen to the stupid callers on talk radio...although they do keep things interesting. :)

3:45 PM  
Blogger Marilee said...

Tabs - do you listen to talk radio? Are you impressed that I posted twice in the same month?

4:49 PM  
Blogger Tabs said...

First question: Yes, but not as much as I used to. You have motivated me to get back into it because I love those stupid heads that call in with ridiculous comments (I know I cannot spell that word). Second question: most definitely yes!!! Please, please, please don't do that again to your loyal readers. We can't handle it. :)

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home