How Does Blockbuster Stay in Business?
Have you been to Blockbuster recently? I made the mistake of going and discovered that I am never going back. I have based this decision on the following reasons:
1.) You can buy a movie for roughly the same price that you can rent it. For example, to rent “The Saint” at blockbuster it would set you back about 4 bucks; or you can purchase this movie at your local Wal-Mart for approximately $5. And, if you purchase it you don’t have to worry about getting it back to the store.
2.) The employees at Blockbuster are not interested in helping you. I found this out when I went to rent the last few discs of 24, season 4. Just days before my “incident” Mindy and I had gone in to this particular location and rented the first disc of 24 with no problem. Of course, I had to find out how the season ended – so I decided to go back on my own to rent the rest of the season. When I went to check out I asked the guy, “I don’t have my card, but that I have my ID, will that work?” He said yes and took my drivers license and after careful examination he told me that I was not an authorized signer for the account at that address. I was a little confused by this since I remember setting up my very first blockbuster card at this location some 10 year ago. As I was explaining this to him, he offered to call MY phone number and get permission to rent to me. I said – that’s my phone number, you can call it, but no one will answer the phone b/c I am standing right here. I also told him that Melinda (the account holder) does not live at that address anymore. This completely shut the man down. He just started at me and began to repeat “you are not an authorized signer on this account.” Apparently, setting up my own account would not work b/c the address was already in the system under my sister’s name. I tried explaining that Melinda recently got married and that her name has changed and that she does not live at this address any more and I could provide proof (picture me pointing at my DL he was holding) that I do. He did not seem to understand my logic as he repeated “but, but, you are not an authorized signer on the account.” At this point I started to get a little frustrated. All I wanted to do was rent the show so I could find out how it ended. So, I decided to take a different approach. I gave him the puppy dog eyes and said "do you think you can make this one little exception for me? I promise I will have Mindy come in and update your system." To this he gave me the "well, I don't know - you aren't authorized to rent on this account." I wanted to scream. Finally he got the manager involved – to no surprise; I went through the exact same line of questioning with her. After much discussion and an attempt to call my house, I finally wore them down (I think b/c a long line was building up behind me) and they finally allowed me to rent the discs. What an ordeal! I am never going back in there.
1.) You can buy a movie for roughly the same price that you can rent it. For example, to rent “The Saint” at blockbuster it would set you back about 4 bucks; or you can purchase this movie at your local Wal-Mart for approximately $5. And, if you purchase it you don’t have to worry about getting it back to the store.
2.) The employees at Blockbuster are not interested in helping you. I found this out when I went to rent the last few discs of 24, season 4. Just days before my “incident” Mindy and I had gone in to this particular location and rented the first disc of 24 with no problem. Of course, I had to find out how the season ended – so I decided to go back on my own to rent the rest of the season. When I went to check out I asked the guy, “I don’t have my card, but that I have my ID, will that work?” He said yes and took my drivers license and after careful examination he told me that I was not an authorized signer for the account at that address. I was a little confused by this since I remember setting up my very first blockbuster card at this location some 10 year ago. As I was explaining this to him, he offered to call MY phone number and get permission to rent to me. I said – that’s my phone number, you can call it, but no one will answer the phone b/c I am standing right here. I also told him that Melinda (the account holder) does not live at that address anymore. This completely shut the man down. He just started at me and began to repeat “you are not an authorized signer on this account.” Apparently, setting up my own account would not work b/c the address was already in the system under my sister’s name. I tried explaining that Melinda recently got married and that her name has changed and that she does not live at this address any more and I could provide proof (picture me pointing at my DL he was holding) that I do. He did not seem to understand my logic as he repeated “but, but, you are not an authorized signer on the account.” At this point I started to get a little frustrated. All I wanted to do was rent the show so I could find out how it ended. So, I decided to take a different approach. I gave him the puppy dog eyes and said "do you think you can make this one little exception for me? I promise I will have Mindy come in and update your system." To this he gave me the "well, I don't know - you aren't authorized to rent on this account." I wanted to scream. Finally he got the manager involved – to no surprise; I went through the exact same line of questioning with her. After much discussion and an attempt to call my house, I finally wore them down (I think b/c a long line was building up behind me) and they finally allowed me to rent the discs. What an ordeal! I am never going back in there.


1 Comments:
Oh yes, Tams, netflix is the way to go. I too am against blockbuster. Not because I've necessarily had problems like you had Mar, but becuase like you mentioned the prices are ridiculous. I don't understand why it costs the same amount to rent a new release as it does to rent something that's been out for years and years. I miss the good ol' days of renting when it didn't rob you blind (between that and gas prices). But that is a whole nother can of worms.
Girl, you have made my week! I was so excited to see thaty you posted! I miss ya, keep up the great posting. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home