Sunday, July 18, 2004

The Swimming Hole

There are a few things you should know before you can fully appreciate the swimming hole catastrophe. They are as follows:

1.) I believe there are two types of people in this world: the kind of people that like the water, and the kind of people that don't. Oddly enough, my sister, Mindy, and I fall in at opposite sides of the spectrum on this particular character trait. As you read this story it will become very clear whom the water-baby is...

2.) "Yellowstone family vacation" was the first time an 'outsider' was subjected to the entire family, all at once, for an extend period of time. My brother, Mat, decided to test his long-time girlfriend, Lora, to see if she could make it as a Kelso. (She passed the test, but he didn't actually ask her to marry him until years later - who knows, maybe he couldn't get her to agree to join our crazy antics any sooner... but that is another story.)

3.) Yellowstone National Park actually covers a great distance, a distance over which my family wanted to cover every inch. In the interest of doing so, we packed up all of our things every morning and pilled back into the car to travel to the next destination. This particular day Dad was at the wheel for two reasons: 1. that is where dads belong and 2. he had been so rude to everyone else regarding their driving skills that no one else is willing to drive with him in the car - ever again. Mom is sitting shotgun, Mat and Lora are in the very back and Mindy and I are in the bucket seats smack in the middle of the fam.

Now that the scene is set, you can understand the ridiculousness of what was about to transpire... We were all in route to Old Faithful, enjoying the beautiful scenery along the way, when all of a sudden we came upon wide part of the river. In this "natural pool" area a large group of individuals - some old, some young - had stopped for a swim. As I looked out the window to view this spectacle, I chuckled to myself thinking - 'fools, don't they know the water supplying this pool is bubbling out of a geyser just 50 yards up the road?' Mindy, on the other hand, looked out the window and saw a happening party that she was sure would be the most fun of her life! Immediately she began to appeal to Dad to pull the car over so that we could all get in. I, of course, was thinking ‘she can't be serious’ - so I begin to laugh saying "Mindy, there is no way in the world I am going to get in the swimming hole." We continued to argue about the logistics of her plan for a moment when I realized - I am going to have to put my foot down. If I am going to win this fight, I will to have to insist that Dad DOES NOT pull the car over, but that he continue on the path to the next destination. At this point Dad yells at us to stop arguing (he can’t stand the noise). Mindy is pissed and therefore begins to cry. Mom decides that it is best to not get involved, and will not respond to any attempt to get her to 'take a side.' All the while Mat and Lora are in the back seat - stunned. No one knows what to do with the 26-year-old woman that is crying because she has come to the realization that the family will not be getting in the swimming hole, nor will we be pulling over for her to have the opportunity to brave the waters alone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tabs said...

Girl, I love that story so much! I am so glad that you have chosen to share it with others. I laughed all the way through it, it helped having seen and heard you tell the story before. Boy do I miss story time. Let me tell you this page will be added to my favorite list.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home